Sunday, 16 February 2014

Food I am currently obsessed by

Here are my current food obsessions....am addicted to all these foods, which give the lie to the notion that vegans just eat alfalfa sprouts and Ryvita.

Nutritional yeast. Bear with me, I know the name doesn't inspire confidence. Known as 'nooch' in the vegan community, it's salty, nutty and cheesy all at the same time. I smother my pasta with it the way I used to with cheddar cheese.

Violife cheese slices. Just like cheapo Kraft cheese slices of your childhood, without the sour tang of 'real' cheese.

Dill sandwich slices. These have a really delicious buttery taste alongside the herby dill overtones. My local vegan food shop, the wonderful Quality Vitamins, orders them in for me with their bulk order so I don't pay postage. A packet doesn't last very long in my house.



Spaghetti with courgette, garlic, lemon and chilli. Needs no explanation. Grate a big courgette, fry it up for three minutes or so, add a bit of garlic, lemon and chilli to taste - yum.

Chip butty. I've rediscovered crinkle cut Micro Chips recently, a love affair that began when I was very young. Best in a morning roll with veganaise, salt, vinegar, and a couple of pickled onions. Cold can of Diet Irn Bru is mandatory.

Fry's orange creams. 100% vegan, 100% completely unhealthy, 1000% delicious. I just wish they still made the five flavour version with a different flavour in every segment.




No comments:

Post a Comment